Saturday, October 18, 2008

Victorious

I ran for 20 minutes today--approximately 2 miles. It was amazing. When I saw the 20:00 on the stop watch, I started to tear up, realizing I had done it. Once I got home, I totally burst into tears, crying, "I did it!" and Brad was there to give me a supportive and happy hug as I cried a little more. It's such a monumental accomplishment for me. I'm even tearing up a little now. I used to not even be able to run into the store from the rain, or run after my running toddler and today I ran for 20 minutes. My life has changed and I feel so strong. I'm so grateful.

Yesterday we went to Denver for me to get a fill. The surgeon determined that my port has become detached from my abdominal wall. It's stitched into place at surgery, so somehow, it's no longer stationary. He said he could feel it moving around and had a little bit of a hard time finding it. He was successful, however at getting the fluid in. He said if he's unable to access it in the future, that he will have to go in and reattach it. I'm wondering if I want to wait for problems to arise or perhaps just have him fix it sooner rather than later.

Woman stuff ahead: you've been warned!
I'm also thrilled that I've gotten my period back. I been on birth control pills since I had Adam which basically makes your period hormonally forced, so I've never known if my body is actually working properly and ovulating, or just responding to the hormones. I stopped taking them last month and so this is the first real one. I haven't had a normal, regular period since before I became pregnant with my oldest child who is now almost 11, so it's been a really long time since this part of me was normal. If you don't know, menstruation can stop because of an unhealthy body weight, either too high or too low. So this is another victory for me, to be at a healthy enough weight to menstruate. It might sound wierd, but I'm very happy to have this normal part of womanhood again.

4 comments:

oozyxena said...

Hi,I am just starting out on this journey and will have my surgery in 19 days along with my sister we are together all the way, It is so wonderful to read your blog and see your pictures, you are doing and have done so well and I hope and pray the same will be for my sis and I. Please feel free to read my blog although I have only just started out.
Thanks Zena..

Melanie said...

I know what its like to rejoice at haivng a period - congratulations. Running for that time is unbelievable for someone who has been okbese and no wonder you were emotional. Well done. I hope the port issue isn't too serious.

Anonymous said...

Running that long is great...congrats on that. You are such an inspiration!!! And, if I may say so.... you look wonderful ;)

Melissa said...

Go Melissa GO!!! Good job on your 20 minute run. I am SOOOOO Proud of you. I think you are doing great. Keep it up!