Tuesday, September 9, 2008

First day of Couch to 5K

I don't know what kind of couch potato they are targeting, but that workout was definitely not something I could have done a few months ago. Maybe even a month ago. Here's what week 1 entails: Brisk five-minute warm up walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

It was hard! It was ever so much more vigorous than the walking I've been doing, even though that has been very brisk and pushing myself faster and faster.

So for this program I'm supposed to do that three times a week, which works out great because I do that on the day that I do the shorter T-tapp workout. So I do long workout, short walk one day, then short workout, long walk, or now the CT5K program on the next.

I did get a headache right off, during the first 60 seconds of running. I'm going to try to remember to take ibuprofen before I go next time. But other than that, I'm not sore or anything. Feels good to have done that today!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Congratulations on leaving that plateau. You're a real inspiration. I love the slideshow and I'm going to try and subscribe. I've done the same on my page but I'm not sure how it works so yours will be the first I've "subscribed to". Cheers
Melanie

Melissa said...

You go girl! Great job! I so recommend the couch to 5K plan. I think it is awesome! When I did the couch to 5k, my walks (warmups) were just a regular walk. I never wanted to feel so tired to start my run/walk workouts. Just a suggestion, and the training still worked for me. P.S. I started couch to 5K in mid-Feb. I will run my first marathon in just over 1 week! Just think, you could be heading for a marathon!=) I am so proud of you Melissa for wanting to try new things and getting out there and doing it! Go get em! =)