Friday, August 1, 2008

And back up we go

This is crazy-making! Two pounds up today. I finally adjusted my ticker back up. I don't like doing that because I know that my weight will come right back down, but this week has been all over the place. So it's reading the right amount today.

To help this process along, I am really concentrating on making sure to stop eating when I get full--the early side of full. I think I have been eating more than I need to the last little while. I think it's important for Lapband patients to be able to eat enough food to sustain ourselves. Some of the banded people I know, either in real life or online have their bands restricting their intake so much that they can only eat a couple of bites before being full. While that's a fun phenomenon for a minute and certainly weight will come off, I don't think that is healthy. I believe that the proper fill (fill is the term for the band being filled with saline) amount allows you to eat a variety of healthy, nourishing foods. So far this is holding true for me. I've been able to eat small to regular sized meals and still lose weight. As the weight is doing weird things, I'm making sure that my size of meal isn't getting bigger than I need.

What I found today is that I'm able to stop and still feel full much sooner than I have been. I just need to pay closer attention to my body. I've been eating pretty much however much food I serve myself, cleaning my plate most times. Part of it is that I don't feel like being done eating just yet, so I continue eating as long as my band isn't complaining.

If I'm not careful, my surgeon said, I can stretch out the pouch a bite at a time. Just a little too much food this time, and then next time a little more, etc. Then you end up with your pouch stretched and able to hold more food than is appropriate for weight loss. So that's what originally made me think I needed to pay better attention to my food intake. Then the 2 pound gain this morning really solidified that lesson to me. So basically I'm taking my eating more seriously and paying closer attention to my hunger and full signals.

No comments: