Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dr. Metz

Just wanted to report in about my appointment on Friday. I loved Dr. Metz! He did such a great job and took a lot of care to make sure I didn't get too full. He was very professional, and treated me with respect and kindness.

He got me on one stick of the needle, after having numbed me up a bit. (Awesome!) He was also very kind and personable with the radiology staff, which I appreciated. Brad came with me to everything and he seemed really interested and excited to see what went down. He hadn't been able to come to a fill appointment with me yet.

I really loved talking to the nutritionist afterwards. When you have a fill with him, you automatically get an appointment with a nutritionist. I love that. This was hands down my favorite nutritionist appointment I've ever had. She was realistic and very down to earth.

Dr. Metz's nutritional guidelines are very different from Dr. Mel's. They encompass so many healthy things that I've been omitting. His meal options include whole grains, fruits and vegetables and even healthy fats. These are things I would have liked to include in my diet (Though I have been eating fruits and vegetables), but have been hesitant to because of my guidelines.

They don't advocate a certain number of carbs or fats, just focusing on proteins, 60 g a day as well as eating a fruit and/or vegetable and a whole grain at every meal, and having just three meals and one snack.

This is much more in line with how I feel about food. I am really excited about incorporating these things once I'm on solid food again. It takes a couple of days of mushy food, then a couple of days of soft foods before you should eat regularly again after a fill.

There's a woman who posts at lapbandtalk that is at her goal weight and has been for years. She advocates eating whole grains and says she feels so much fuller on them than she does on just protein. So I'm going to give this whole thing a try. As long as I'm able to have good weight loss with it, I'll go for it. If it doesn't work, then I'll have to rethink things again.

2 comments:

Brad said...

That WAS a really good day, wasn't it? Dr. Metz seems to be a great doctor for your LabBand follow up needs. It was great seeing how much you enjoyed the day! I love you, Honey.

DocSly said...

Melissa, it sounds like you have a husband like mine. Bless you Brad for being such a great support. A good doctor is such a benefit in this experience.