Saturday, November 1, 2008

Increasing my running

I realized the other day that if I am going to run a 5K on Thanksgiving, that I'm going to have to step it up a bit. The couch to 5K program takes you up to running for 30 minutes. Well, I'm not getting 3.1 miles into 30 minutes of running. I run a 13.5 minute mile right now, so it's going to take me about 42 minutes to do a 5K.

I ran extra yesterday and today (Yes, I did run two days in a row to make up for missing Thursday!) and bumped it up from 25 minutes of running to 30. I'll just keep increasing as I go and by Thanksgiving I should be good to go on the 5K. Not sure how I'm going to proceed thereafter. Should I keep increasing distance, or try to increase my time for the same distance? Any advice from you who run?

I keep getting a blister on the bottom of my foot in the instep. I need to develop a callous there so that won't happen. I'd really like to splurge on some amazing running shoes or something. I have pretty good ones, but I know you can certainly spend a lot more on them. Again, any input from runners?

4 comments:

DocSly said...

Melissa, put on two pairs of socks. That will help stop the blistering.

James and Katrina said...

Saucony brand shoes are great--my favorite. I found a pair at a yard sale for $5 the best find ever! There are things at WalMart near the shoe sole inserts that have something that you can stick to that area of the foot to give extra padding to decrease blisters. GOod luck! Oh, if you have good insurance, check with a podiatrist for getting custom-made orthodic inserts. I just got some and they are great--but expensive without insurance. They are super for runners.

Anonymous said...

I used to be a runner (3 marathons, and still fat - thus I got the lapband). Here's some of my advice:

Blisters - do not wear cotton socks! I repeat DO NOT WEAR COTTON SOCKS! Wear polyester or a variety of other socks that are available at running stores.

Shoes - go to a running store and ask to be fitted for a proper pair of running shoes. These are usually 1/2 size bigger than your street shoes, have a roomy toe box (you can wiggle and spread your toes comfortably) and hold your heel in well so that it does not *lift* as you run. If the shoes are too expensive (may not be the case), but if they are then write down the style number, etc. Then, go buy the shoes on ebay. Typically 50% less than retail prices.

Congrats on training for the Thanksgiving 5K. After you complete that, better to work on your SPEED than your distance. The only way to increase speed is to do speed workouts. Here's a website to check out: http://www.athletesacceleration.com/speed-training-workouts.html

Once you get your speed up, THEN work on your distance.

Melissa said...

Great job on your running. I am SOOOOOO proud of you. I really am. You are doing wonderful.

Yes, get a good pair of running socks. They are expensive $10-12 a pair. But very worth it. I stopped getting my blister in the same spot as you after I started wearing the nicer socks. I have one pair of Balega and another brand.

I have kept track of my runs on Activetrainer.com. It is free. You can log your miles/pace and things. I just looked back to after I did my couchto5K, I ran a few 3 milers and 3 1/2 for 2 1/2 weeks before my first 5K. Then for the next month I just ran between 3 and 6 miles. The six was just to see if I could do it. Then after that month of just various distances, I decided to do a marathon, so then I had a training schedule of when and how much to run.

I really want to work on speed work for the spring and improve my 5K time. I guess it kind of depends on what your goal is. Like now that my marathon is over, I don't have a goal, so I am not running as much. I would just like to do some 3-5 milers throughout the winter months.