Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I'm a loser!

And this time I'm not talking about weight. I woke up yesterday morning, only to realize my wedding ring was not on my hand. I never take it off, except for things like childbirth and surgery, so I knew I hadn't left it somewhere. It had fallen off. When, I didn't know.

We took my bed apart, piece by piece looking for it. Not there. I looked all around the house, to no avail. We had gone to an event at the elementary school the night before, so I made a mental note to call them and have their custodian keep an eye out. I looked in the car, on the floor of the drivers side. At this point I really started to get sad. I was so very sad! I don't think I've felt that sad since my sister was whisked away on an airplane from Goodland to Denver. (Pregnancy complications while visiting me.)

As I do whenever I'm looking for something, I sat down and prayed. I prayed so fervently. This is such a tiny object, but I know that the Lord is mindful of me and knows how important my ring is to me. As I sat in the same spot, after my prayer, Brad came running in from the car. He had found it in Adam's car seat. It must have come off when I put him in there as we were leaving the school. I cried tears of relief. It was truly a dramatic morning. All of this happened in less than an hour. It took me a little while to calm down inside after the whole ordeal was over. I'm so grateful!

My ring is now safely tucked away in my jewelery box. I'm wearing a $10 Walmart ring to keep that place on my finger from being empty. I thought I was jumping the gun to say my ring was too big, but apparently not.

6 comments:

Brad said...

Thanks for loving the wedding ring I got you. Love you lots!

SallyB said...

Wow! What drama. Did I tell you I found my wedding ring? It was lost for almost 10 years! Glad you didn't have to wait that long. Ironically, I also bought myself a cheap ring to wear on the empty spot, 2 weeks before I found it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for finding her ring Brad! I love happy endings.

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

Do you remember Mom had a very similar experience when we lived in Georgia? She lost both her wedding and engagement rings. The wedding ring she found in the ash tray in the car, but the engagement ring didn't show up for a while. Mom went to take a girl in our ward to the bus station--she was leaving her husband and going home to her mother, and "happened" to call Mom for a ride. Mom noticed a ring on her hand and asked her where she got it. (It was Mom's engagement ring.) The girl said "I found it under our couch. I dont' think it's real." Mom had babysat for her before, and must have dropped the ring then.
This came at a time when Mom really needed a witness that the Lord was mindful of her and was taking care of her.
It's not just the sparrows that He watches over.

love,

Dad

Melissa said...

Yeah, Dad, I have always remembered that story. I'm sure it was on my mind that morning as I was praying for help.

Anonymous said...

Melissa, Your story reminded me of your mom's experience. I am glad your dad shared it. I'm so glad Brad found your ring...just another reminder there are answers to prayers. Love, Aunt Lisa