Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I just found a website that has videos of gastric surgery (animations, don't worry, nothing gory or graphic). I thought you might find these interesting to see why the surgery I had isn't gastric bypass and what exactly the banding procedure does. So here is gastric bypass, and here is banding. I had banding.

One of the more discouraging statistics is the percentage of people who lose their excess weight with this surgery. For banding, they only list that patients typically lost 47% of their excess weight. There are those who don't use the band properly, or for whom the band really just doesn't work. I would guess those skew the percentage down somewhat. Anyway, from the sampling of people I've seen on lapbandtalk.com, there are a lot of people losing all of their excess weight. I plan on being one of them!

3 comments:

SallyB said...

Those animations were interesting. I had a pretty good idea what you were getting, but now it's clearer. I didn't know that gastric bypass was such a serious rearrangement of organs. yikes. How's your adjustment to liquids going? :) Sally

Anonymous said...

Those videos were interesting. The name "Roux en Y" caught my attention because that is the name they applied to the surgery Mom had after her gall bladder was removed. They didn't do anything to make her stomach smaller, but they did cut the small intestine and attach the lower end to the liver, and the upper end made a Y connection lower down in the small intestine. So the stomach was on one branch of the Y, and the liver was on the other.

Hope everything is going well for you. Lots of adjustments, as Brad said.

love,

Dad

Melissa said...

I'm glad you remember all of that Dad because if I ever need to to have my gall bladder out, I would like to warn my surgeon. I'm pretty sure he looked at my gallbladder while he was in there and said it looks fine.