Monday, February 11, 2008

Getting better each day

In case you don't know, or don't remember, my pain threshold is fairly low. So you can imagine I've had a rough few days since the surgery. I wasn't prescribed any pain meds, which had to have been an oversight on the doctor's part. But, this morning, things are looking up and I'm feeling better.

The surgery was a great success. Dr. Melniczek said my liver was beautiful, the most beautiful one he'd seen today. The pre-op diet is to shrink the liver, so that made me happy that that was a success. He also told me I had skinny insides. When I asked what he meant, he said I didn't have a lot of fat around my organs. Which may be why I've been able to carry so much excess weight without developing other life-threatening problems, or co-morbidities as the medical community calls them. The only co-morbidity I have is sleep apnea, which it's anticipated that I will no longer have once some of the weight comes off. Hopefully that's the case.

The nurses were really nice. There were just two patients and two nurses staying overnight in the surgery center. We were both LapBand patients. The other lady was from Utah, her brother was the anesthesiologist working with Dr. Melniczek. I thought that was a pretty good vote of confidence to have his own sister come have surgery with his colleague.

Now we're just wrestling with the liquid diet and trying to get in enough protein and fluid. So far so good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you're doing well Melissa, and I'm proud of you for being brave and strong and taking care of yourself. We love you and we love having you around.

SallyB said...

Woo Hoo! Made it through surgery. Sorry the pain was so rough, but glad you're feeling better. You'll be an expert on liquid-only eating pretty soon here. Looking forward to hearing all about it. YOu're amazing; and you have an amazing family. Talk to you soon, love, sally

bridt said...

that is wonderful news. it sounds like everything is going as good as it can be. thanks for keeping us posted. we are very proud of you and excited for you. much love, britta

Melissa said...

Thanks for all the love and support. I'm so glad to be through what for me was the scariest part, the actual surgery. The rest will be a journey, an exciting one!