Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Life after my second fill

Well, the scales are moving again. That's very exciting. You can see from my ticker and the Weekly Weight Loss log on the right side of the page what my progress is. I've passed the significant only 100lbs left to lose mark, I've passed the 50 pounds lost mark. It should be interesting to see the progress pictures I'll take in about a week. I wonder how long I should continue to use the same pair of pants and shirt. After a while, they'll just be baggy and my body won't be very visible in them for comparison.

I thought I'd describe for you what it's like now that I've had this second fill and now that my restriction is very good. I must take much smaller bites and chew, chew, chew. I need to eat slower, too. I found this out the hard way when I have been eating and then this pain in my chest stops me cold in my tracks. It's a similar feeling when I'm full, too. Suddenly there's pain in my chest and I just have to stop. When I try to burp for relief, I can't because instead of air, there is food right there, almost in my mouth. It's like I've gotten filled right up and there's no place else for the food to go. This is happening after eating a significantly smaller portion of food.

I imagine as I get better at understanding the band, I'll be able to stop just shy of that painful full feeling, and just know that I've gotten full without the band shouting it at me. I've heard it described as "hard full" and "soft full." I've definitely been experiencing hard full, now I need to understand my body and listen when I have a soft full.

I went to a seminar last night and we were fed appetizer type foods. I had two small plates of food and it took me so long to eat it. I was chewing like crazy and taking my time. I was satisfied when I was finished, though I didn't get that painfully full feeling.

Ground beef is working fine, chicken is a little tougher. Fish seems to be okay. I haven't tried eggs yet. People tend to get stuck on eggs frequently. (Stuck is how people describe that sudden pain in the chest, and you know what you just ate isn't working well with your band.)

So right now, it's working, doing what it's supposed to do and I'm learning and trying to do my best to follow the band rules.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty awesome sis... keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

I like looking at your graph. It's very linear, and steadily trending downward.

Melissa said...

I'm guessing you're referring to the graph you see when you click on my ticker. It is cool to see that. Thanks for the support, guys.

Brad said...

Soon, you will become Master of your band. :)

Anonymous said...

You are doing so great! I can tell a big difference every time I see you.