Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Social eating

I've become aware that I'm very much a social eater. After having surgery, it was somehow very important to me that I not appear to be eating way different than everyone else. I want people to see what I eat and realize that for the most part I eat fairly normally. I eat less than I once did, but not like a bird or a toddler.

One of the results of this tendency is to usually enjoy some dessert while at public events. It's just part of the atmosphere and part of the whole social thing, so I usually have some of whatever is being served for dessert.

Well today I challenged that. I went to my husband's work for a lunch-time barbecue and successfully didn't have any dessert or chips. I had a bratwurst without the bun and some salad. I hadn't completely made up my mind about whether or not to have any treats and I just found that I was able to not have any and be okay with that.

A year ago this wouldn't have been any big deal because I was going without junk much more consistently, but it has crept back into my life somewhat and so it is a battle I continue to wage.

No comments: