Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Lenthening my stride and squaring my shoulders

Literally.
I've decided to train for a half-marathon along with some friends and my sister. I'm a little nervous about whether or not I can actually do it, but I'm going to try. The training schedule I'm using actually has me running just 2 mile runs for a couple of weeks before increasing. I'm fine with that at this point.

I've realized/decided/had it pointed out to me that my posture has become a real problem. I knew it was bad and hated seeing myself in profile pictures. I just chalked it up to being able to actually see my spine again since I had posture troubles before I got heavy. That is true to an extent, but the chiropractor told me when he saw me last week that my posture is significantly worse than it was 6 weeks ago when he saw me. I find that alarming. So, I'm doing some research into what I can do to correct my bad posture, and the hump in my upper back. I think running is making it worse, so as I'm running I'm trying to concentrate on better posture.

One thing I learned in my internet search yesterday is that making sure your head is above your spine is important. First and foremost your spine needs to be able to take the weight of your head, not have your shoulder muscles trying to hold it up as it is forward of your body. A head is really heavy, so I totally get that concept. So this is my next quest. . to have better posture and less back pain.

6 comments:

Mindy, Julia and Connor said...

What date is your marathon? I started training too (don't know if you noticed my blog or not) mine is 4/18/09. Good luck with everything and keep us posted on how you are doing with it. :)

Melissa said...

I guess I forgot that detail. I was invited to do the half marathon in SLC on that same day (same one?)Only thing is that I don't think I'll be able to commit to being in Utah on that date, so I'm training, but don't necessarily have a race to run in. I need to check into Denver's races to see what's available closer to me. Good luck with your training. That's cool that you're getting some of your family to join you. :)

Melissa said...

Wow- Melissa! That is so cool. I so know you can do it. You are so motivated right now. I think you are amazing! (You know I have never done a 1/2 and have wanted to.) I wish we lived closer and could train together.
Good luck in figuring out the posture issues. Let us know what else you find out. I need to get better posture.

Unknown said...

I love following you blog as a fellow lapband patient! I too had poor posture and weight loss only seemed to make it worse. I then started Pilates a year ago, fell in love with it, and have the best posture of any of my friends. Pilates really helps strengthen your core which results in ballerina posture. Good luck and best to you!

Anonymous said...

I just received Wii Fit for Christmas. I used it for the first time the other night, and they are all about balancing, which they say will help your posture. It talked a lot about posture being one of the problems with overweightness, so don't know if you'd like to check that out. Lots of fun games to help gain better balance.

Melissa said...

Thanks for the suggestions, all.