Thursday, December 11, 2008

Good for you, Jogger!

When we were kids, we used to laugh at joggers, mocking them. My mom got us to change that into yelling out the window, "Good for you, Jogger!" I remembered this story as I was doing my run today and could totally picture my mom, looking down from heaven and cheering me on, "Good for you, Jogger!"

Today was the first time I ran outside since the Turkey Trot. I love running outside. I love the fresh air and the wind to cool my sweat. Just love it. However, my time isn't as fast outside as it is on the treadmill.

Speaking of treadmills, I've begun to wonder if different treadmills are calibrated differently. When I run on one I can run at setting 5.5 mph, then a few days later I run on a different one and I can only handle about a 4.5. I know that my body has fluctuations in strength and endurance, but when I'm on various machines, it almost seems that it is a difference in the machine. Who knows. Bottom line is that I'm still doing it. The race came and went and I'm still running. That is amazing and awesome.

I've also had really tight muscles on the backs of my legs, (sorry, not looking up which muscles those are) to the point that when I do my after-running stretch I can't straighten them like I was able to a little while ago. I haven't been doing T-tapp as much as I used to, I think that might be part of it. I'm back on track with T-tapp right now, so I think it'll help. Plus, I'm increasing stretching after my run.

3 comments:

Brad said...

The muscle on the upper leg is called the quad (for quadracep), I think; and the muscle on the lower leg is called the calf.

By the way: good for you, Jogger!

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing that your talking about your hamstrings. Your hamstrings can get tight after running. I've been reading up on running lately and aparently it's best to stretch those mucles right after running. Don't let them cool down first. Sounds like that's what your doing!

Good for you Jogger!!!

I also remember saying good for you swimmer when people were running in the rain. :)

Love you Sis.
-Cyndi

Mom's Sewing Vault said...

Good for you, Melissa! You're amazing.
Sally