Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Lapband Support Meeting Tonight

I just got home from our first Goodland Bariatric Surgery Support meeting. A friend of mine who had surgery about a month after me, and I organized this group. We met at her home and we had six of us there. Three of us are recent lapband patients. One is hoping to have surgery soon, one is six years out from Gastric Bypass. She's not looking for additional surgery, just there for support. Also, we had the nutritionist from the hospital come and give us a little info on proteins, etc.

It was such an uplifting experience to spend time talking to these ladies and building each other up. I can totally see myself really getting into the support aspect of things. I just really enjoyed it.

It was really touching to see the prospective patient cry tears of hope as she listened to us talking about things that are now possible after having had the surgery. I'm so excited for her to experience the change that will come with this step she's taking.

I noticed tonight that I'm also feeling a higher level of confidence in social settings. It's reminding me of how I felt after my mission, and during my time living in the student apartments at USU and meeting and dating Brad. I felt very confident during that time and I really enjoyed who I am. I am starting to feel that way again. I hadn't realized that it was missing, only now that I'm seeing it coming back.

We plan on meeting every two weeks with this group. I'm guessing it will grow quickly. There is a lot of need for this out here.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Way to go Melissa- You are such a friendly, easy-to-talk-to person. You are just what the group needs. I am really proud of you for sharing your experiences with others!

Melissa said...

Thanks. And lest anyone be confused that I'm commenting to myself, this is my friend Melissa Hurd from Utah. :)

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
I am very proud of you and I am glad you are feeling better about yourself. Lots of love, Haydee.